Happy September! I am really looking forward to this month because I will be going to Morocco to attend the Global Summit. Spa and wellness leaders from all over the globe will be attending to discuss trends and what to look forward to in 2015. I will be sharing insight with you upon my return. Also in September, we are hosting the Leap Ahead Seminar in Los Angeles for the first time ever! This is going to be great for all community members who are looking for a great reason to go on vacation in California and hit two birds with one stone. As for you, September should be all about planning your last quarter of success to ensure a great finish to the year. Read the featured article and gain tips on How To Motivate Your Team so you can have a great last quarter and beyond… We are also introducing two brand new websites. The first is DoneForMeSpaMarketing.com to give community members a greater understanding of all the marketing tools we have available in one place. Claim your complimentary marketing teleseminar audios below, a value of $149. The second website is called CoachMeGold.com and there you will find all the CoachMe Gold series in one place. You will be able to join any CoachMe program current or past from the very beginning. Read about it in the Bright Idea. In Dori Recommends, listen to the CoachMe Gold CD on How to Motivate Your Team and reach a higher level of success! Happy September!
|P.S. A Gift for YOU! Go to InSPArationManagement.com and order your copy of my new book, Spa Business Secrets to Increase Profits, for only the price of shipping and handling!|
Not a CoachMe member yet? You owe it to yourself to check it out so you can experience business growth!
Leap Ahead Seminar – Los Angeles, CA September 29th, September 30th & October 1st This is the million-dollar question we get all the time: “How do I keep my spa team motivated?” Recently I have been getting many emails and phone calls from spa leaders expressing concerns with the lack of motivation they see in their teams’ behavior. One in particular sent me a five-page letter filled with frustration and disappointments and was just about ready to throw in the towel. Why are some teams motivated and some are not? What separates the two? In working with many spa owners, I noticed that some have teams who have been with them for years and some who have a revolving door. How would you rate your team’s behavior? Are they motivated or do they do just enough to get by?
Let’s start by defining two main relationships:
- Team member/employee When you hire someone to join your team, you need to know that there is a limit to how much you can expect from this employee. They are simply exchanging hours for pay. Once five o’clock hits, they move on to other important things in their lives. They are not thinking about you or your company.
- Entrepreneurship On the other hand, entrepreneurship is totally different. As an entrepreneur, you are always thinking of ways to improve your business. You are always pushing forward. And the mistakes entrepreneurs make is they expect their employees to put in the same efforts. That’s nice in theory, but it’s not likely to happen.
Now that we defined the two roles, let’s talk about what you can do to keep the team motivated so they are at least working hard while they are on the clock.
What is motivation?
Motivation is either extrinsic or intrinsic; what is the difference?
- Intrinsic motivation is a drive from within. Napoleon Hill talks about it in his book Think and Grow Rich. “It’s burning desire,” the natural phenomena. Everyone knows some people like that. These people are naturally motivated and driven. They are eager to do a great job and make big accomplishments.
- Extrinsic motivation is when outside factors influence our internal needs, wants, and behaviors – such as rewards, promotions, and praise. Extrinsic motivation is usually temporary. Most people need external programs to get them motivated.
“People often say that motivation doesn’t last. Well, neither does bathing; that’s why we recommended it daily.” -Zig Ziglar
What can you do to motivate your spa and salon team?
- Do a survey to discover what motivates your team
- Come up with an exciting reward system
- Set goals
- Measure performance
- Recognize efforts
- Survey your team. Since everyone is motivated differently, it’s wise to conduct a survey and find out what truly motivates your team. Once you discover the results, create a reward program that is more likely to motivate them and keep them motivated.
- Rewards program. Entrepreneurs often ask me, “How much should I spend on the reward program?” It really depends on the entire compensation structure. Some spas designate 1% and some 2% of gross revenue. It’s important to keep in mind that whatever amount you designate must be calculated as part of the entire compensation payout amount. In some cases, you may need to reduce your compensation model in order to afford to offer and pay for rewards.
- Setting goals. Goals go hand-in-hand with motivation. If you want your team to stay motivated, they must have goals to work towards.
- Measuring performance. Without performance measures, you can’t improve and you can’t reward your team. Below is a list of important key performance indicators that you can measure and reward:
- Performance Volume Per Guest for service and retail target
- Guest satisfaction and retention
- Team cross marketing
- Quality of work
- Bright ideas
- Work ethic
- Number of referrals
- Number of self-generated clients
Motivation is a fire from within. If someone else tries to light that fire under you, chances are, it will burn very briefly. -Stephen R. Covey
Are you looking for ways to improve your team’s performance and increase revenue?
Join the New Spa Management Essentials Series and gain strategic ways to train your team!
This teleseminar series is filled with systems, strategies, and structure to help you elevate the management end of team performance.Receive Team Training material to help you grow your business! Join Spa Management Essentials III
|Regular price $149
$99 – Leap Ahead Members
$129 – Non Members
Purchase now for only $99! Receive the transcript as a bonus.
Spa Management Essentials Volume I Team Motivation Strategies
Leap Ahead Member Price: $99
Regular Price: $129Add To Cart
DoneForMeSpaMarketing.com A New Marketing Website
Launch Special Receive One Free Marketing Module Click here to download a MP3 recording of the first Marketing ModuleIntroducing CoachMeGold.com You asked and we listened. Many of you wanted to be able to tap into past CoachMe Gold series, but the only way to do it was to buy all the series at once, which was a big price for some people. Now for the first time, you can become a member to any CoachMe series for a flat monthly amount, making it easy and very affordable to join. We invite you to visit CoachMeGold.com and check out all your options.
You can choose from:
- Marketing for Success Volume I and II – Also available in Spanish
- Spa Business Success
- Spa Management Essentials Volume I, II, or III
- Reinvent your Business
- Solo-Preneur and Beyond – CoachMe Silver
Founder and CEO – Dori SoukupInSPAration Management is a business firm dedicated to assisting spa professionals with growing and enhancing their business. We help spa owners and leaders maximize their spa’s potential through consulting, advanced business education, and coaching.
Whether you’ve been in business for years or are just starting out, we can help. Read more.Education: InSPAration Management offers advanced spa business education via seminars and webinars to spa professionals. We can positively impact your career and your business. Read more about the Spa Leadership Seminar.
BizTools: Select from budgets, compensation plans, position descriptions, marketing, and more! Discover BizTools
Contact us to learn how we can help you grow your business and find success through InSPAration!